Rabbinic Initiative to Repeal the Death Penalty
Rabbis and Cantors active with Ohioans to Stop Executions encourage all Jewish communities in Ohio to take as many of the steps below as possible to ensure success of campaign to reduce and repeal executions in the
State of Ohio.
- As individuals and/or on behalf of congregations, please add your name to the Ohio Jewish Clergy Open
Letter to Reduce and End Executions, which is to be found here. Further, please urge any other
ordained clergy who live or work in Ohio to also add their names as soon as possible, and, if possible, the
names of their congregations or organizations. This letter will be presented to the Governor and Ohio
Legislature in support of pending legislation.
- As individuals and/or on behalf of congregations, please add your name to the Religious Sign-on Letter in
Support of Repealing the Death Penalty, which is to be found here. Further, please urge any other
clergy you know (Jewish or otherwise) who live or work in Ohio to also add their names as soon as possible.
This letter will be presented to the Governor and Ohio Legislature in support of pending legislation.
- Add a prayer to end executions in Ohio and across the United States whenever appropriate, including in
weekly Shabbat services until the job is completed.
- As individuals and/or on behalf of congregations, please write a personal letter to Ohio legislators
representing the districts in which you live & work, when requested by OTSE, in support of a specific reform
and repeal legislation once introduced. Find your state legislators here.
- Host or collaborate in an educational event for members of your synagogue, give a sermon on the issue,
publish the Ohio Jewish Clergy statement in the temple bulletin and/or provide opportunities for members to
communicate with their legislators in support of the bill, etc. (OTSE is available to assist – contact
- Please participate in various presentations of the Clergy sign-on letters calling for reducing and repealing
the death penalty when such activities are scheduled. These will typically involve press conferences and
opportunities to visit the offices of our legislators to formally deliver letters. In signing these letters you will be
coded in the OTSE database to receive such invitations.
- Please participate in other campaign activities as appropriate. Details are regularly sent via e-mail and
updated at otse.org.
- Contribute funds personally and encourage individuals and institutions to do likewise, both to
Ohioans to Stop Executions and local non-profit agencies serving the needs of survivors of crime.