Two bills are pending that would stop executions for those with serious mental illness—SB 40 and HB 81. Visit OAMIE’s (Ohio Alliance for Mental Illness Exemption) website to write your legislators and urge them to pass these pieces of legislation that prevent seriously mentally ill individuals from receiving a death sentence.
What SB 41 & HB 81 do:
- Narrowly defines five uncontested diagnoses as serious mental illness (SMI): Schizophrenia, Schizoaffective Disorder, Bipolar Disorder, Major Depressive Disorder, and Delusional Disorder
- SB 40 & HB 81 only apply if prior diagnosis exists and symptomatic at the time of the crime.
- Allows for conviction and legal responsibility
- Follow the same legal process as Atkins and Roper established by the Supreme Court of the United States
- Gives Judges Discretion
- Fixes flaws within the mitigation phase